Thursday, March 24, 2011

Scones again. The official 'House Recipe.'

Hershey's you just know exactly what you are doing. Only I sightly tweaked your recipe.


My 'Aunt' was coming over for coffee and it was her hubs' birthday.  Hmm what can I make, to send home with her that isn't cupcakes but its still a treat. Quick and Easy? Oooo Scones. Proven recipe. Ingredients in house. Score. Plus we can have a few with coffee!

I've officially decided this Hershey's recipe is now my  Official House Scone Recipe. Now that I have made them a few times I feel like these are even easier than chocolate chip cookies!
Here is the recipe again that I've tweaked. Mainly for portion and a only minor infraction from the original.

Hershey's Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 16 petite scones

1 3/4 Cup Flour
1/2 Tbs + 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/8 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup of Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
1 Cup [Heavy] Whipping Cream
Extra Sugar for dipping [about 4 TBS]

Preheat oven to 325.

Whisk together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Divide dough into 2 equal balls. One ball at a time, flatten into 4-5 inch circle; cut into 8 triangles.
In separate small bowl, fill with a few tablespoons of sugar. Dip each scone to coat all sides of triangle.  Place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 15-17 minutes. Bottoms will just barely brown, these scones stay very light looking.

You may also use 1/2 cup of either type of Chocolate Chips, I just felt as though the two sizes gave them  a more interesting chocolate texture. I've baked them with just the standard size chips and because they are petite I thought the mixture of the two worked better.  If you don't divide the dough by two and only make 8 large scones I think just using the standard size chips would work better.  What ever floats your boat!
The Birthday Scones ended up being birthday AND divorce scones! Woohoo. My Dad's got the gold seal paperwork, it's official! What a relief. Everyone ended up coming over to celebrate. We had Chinese food, scones and even a singing birthday candle. Ah what a fun evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment