Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Goldfish [Updated]

Ok Smitten Kitchen, I'm starting to think that I don't need to search the WWW for recipes ever again, only your Blog. Thank you AGAIN!


Whole Wheat Goldfish Crackers via Smitten Kitchen
Yield: About 100 1 1/4 inch goldfish

6 ounces (1 1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheddar, orange if you can find one you like
4 tablespoons (2 ounces or 57 grams) butter
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces or 62 grams) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1 1/8 ounces or 31 grams) all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon table salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, running the machine until the dough forms a ball, about two minutes.

If the dough feels warm or worrisome-ly soft, wrap it in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. This also makes it easier to transfer shapes once they are rolled out.


 My little army of Fish!
You can see my fish cutter I created and my chopstick that worked perfectly for their eyes.
I'm so disappointed that these are the only photos I have left.  I had some cool ones with the shredded cheese. Oh well.

On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter, dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool.

These came out great. I don't have a food processor. Time to improvise.  I had to use room temp butter then put the dough in the fridge for half an hour.  A bit more work, but in the end I think I'd make them again. They also cooked better at 325 for 8 minutes in my oven.

I hastily made this post so I could share my creation in comparison to the original.  I had some lovely process photos of this kitchen excursion.  Today I deleted them off my camera and then remembered that they had not been saved to my computer. Boo.  They were quite nice too. Bummer. I suppose I'll have to make them again. Darn.  I was a little disappointed, The Toddler would not eat them.  She'd take one and finger quish-test it.  In other words she took it, licked it and decided it wasn't worth her time so she crumbled it up using only ONE finger. So that she can prove its unholy assault on her taste buds. 'See mom, if I can squish it with only one finger it is not worth putting in my mouth.'

No comments:

Post a Comment