Monday, March 21, 2011

Cumin Turkey Loaf



Cumin Turkey Loaf  [Adapted from Allrecipes.com]

1.3 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup dry Italian bread crumbs [Pankow may work better but I didn't have any on hand]

2 teaspoons ground cumin 1 Teaspoon
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Mix together the bread crumbs, cumin, mustard, paprika, chili powder & Salt.  Add the soy sauce, worcestershire & garlic, mix well.  Combine with turkey and egg.



Transfer to a loaf pan precoated with cooking spray. Place in oven at 350 for approximately 45-60 minutes depending on your oven.  Loaf is cooked when no longer pink in center.  (If you have a meat thermometer I believe 165 is the cooked temp you'd be looking for. I do not have such an item so correct me if that is the wrong temp, I took it from allrecipes.)

I did a search for Turkey burgers and found a few recipes.  That was our original intention.  I mixed up all the ingredients and told Hubs I would not be forming the patties.  I got my fix of meat handling when I made the last batch of meatballs. I have nails and prefer not to have meat stuck under them. *shudders* Gross. He was busy doing something and agreed a loaf would do just fine.
Our first attempts at eating a healthier burger by getting ground turkey were bland and uninteresting. I'm still new to cooking with spices so I've been hesitant to make a non-proven recipe.  I figured that an over-spiced turkey burger, at this point, would be better than a bland one.  So we gave it a shot.
The packages of ground turkey we get are only 1.3 pounds and the original recipe called for 1.5 pounds.  I read a few reviews and found that it sounded like I would be okay not having the extra.  The only thing I will do next time is only use one teaspoon of Cumin.  It was overpowering at two.  Definitely worth trying again.  The loaf baked at 350 for about an hour.  I had spoken with Betty Crocker at about the 45 minute mark and she suggested not touching it an waiting another 15 minutes. I'm over anxious and hungry.  I usually defy her instructions and suffer the consequences.  She has time and time again proven I should just listen to her and not cut or poke at stuff if she says its not done yet.  I cut into the loaf and of course it wasn't done yet.  Put it in for another 15 and it came out great except for the piece i cut into which was a little dry. *Shakes head* Why don't I listen to her? She's always right, when it comes to cooking.
 [Note: Apparently the Toddler gets her defiance from her mother. Points finger at self...]
I forgot to get a photo of the loaf when it was done because Hubs and I were 30 minutes past the "I need to eat NOW" stage.  It has just been a long week.  This time change bit has thrown off our dinner schedule, apparently Hubs and I need more adjusting this year than the kids do.  We keep sitting down to eat at like 8pm. Neeeeed to fix that ASAP.

We at the Cumin Turkey Loaf in Burger fashion anyway.  The only cheese that seemed appropriate was some leftover Taco Seasoned shredded cheese, a little lettuce, green pepper & tomato on one of those new flat bread rolls and call it dinner.  I completely forgot to make french fries.  We realized this after we both ate two helpings.  Like I said, it was a long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment