Monday, January 31, 2011

The Weekend

The Weekend in Photos.

Spaghetti & Meatballs.

Cookies.

Crazy Salt Chicken.

Fried Zucchini & Squash.

Cannoli Cake.

Oh and I never said, GOOD photos. Just photos!



Meatballs


1.5 Lb of Ground Beef (we like 80 or 85% lean)
2/3 Cup Parmesan/Romano Sprinkle Cheese
3 Tbs Dried Minced Onion
1/2 Cup Italian Breadcrumbs
5 Oz. of Frozen Spinach  (half of standard size frozen 'brick')

Cook the Spinach, cool and squeeze dry. Add to bowl Breadcrumbs, onion & Cheese, mix & break up any cheese clumps.  Add meat and spinach and mix with your hands thoroughly.  Make meatballs of desired size.  Makes approx 15-20, 1-2 inch meatballs.  Brown in saucepan with a little bit of Olive Oil.  Add to red sauce and continue to cook on medium low until no longer pink inside.  Make sure to stir frequently.  (Save half after browning and freeze for a rainy day!)

Yeah, I cheated. And they were good. The package SAAAAID snack size.
I started the BFOL 21 Day Challenge.  I took the photo of my junk drawer. That is as far as I got.
I made Sunday Dinner for 5!  Crazy Salt Roasted Chicken, 'fried' zucchini & squash & Texmati rice. Yum.

Crazy Salt Roasted Chicken
Bone In/ Skin on Chicken Thighs and/or drumsticks
Crazy Salt *My favorite spice EVER.
Olive Oil

I've found that one thigh and one drumstick each, is a perfect portion for us.  Make what sounds good for your hungry tummys, they are amazingly delicious and taste just as good for lunch the next day!

Coat chicken with skin on with olive oil.  I like to throw them in a large zipper bag and squish it around. Place on nonstick foil lined brownie pan.  Sprinkle Crazy salt on both sides, heavily on skinned top, leave skin up and bake for 45-60 minutes on 375 depending on how many pieces you make.  For extra crispy skin turn oven up to 425 for the last few minutes!

Fried Zucchini adapted from Kraft foods

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 package of 'Shake N Bake' or the like.  
          (I get whatever is on sale that week, but Oven Fry is actually my favorite.)
1 small zucchini
1 small squash
1 egg

Wash and cut squash and zucchini with skin on.  I like to slice them at an angle instead of sticks (See photo above) . Add cheese to coating mix in shaker bag; shake gently to combine. Whisk egg in medium bowl. Add zucchini; toss to coat. Use tongs to place 1/4 of the zucchini in shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat. Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining zucchini. BAKE 12 to 13 min. or until golden brown, turning after 7 min. 

Note, DEFINITELY USE TONGS.  Otherwise gently pick up slices by the skin sides or the coating comes off!

Oh and Dessert. Cannoli Cake. Heaaaaaavven!  I would have made Juggling Act's Cannoli Cupcakes but I ain't superwoman today. lol Eventually I'll make them and eat the entire batch myself. Thanks Jax.  Our dinner guests made sure to bring dessert. Oh and made sure to give The Toddler an entire (mini) Cannoli which she INHALED.

So today is Monday and this week's dinner menu is still TBD. Ugh.  I do have some nicely browed Banana's that are patiently waiting to become bread and a few of those CC Cookies left that sound better for breakfast than leftover Cannoli cake.  Well OK they don't sound BETTER, I would just FEEL better saying I had Cannoli cake for lunch instead of breakfast. HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment