Today's recipe is Chicken Soup with Stars & Meatballs from Epicurious.
Chicken Soup with Meatballs & Stars
2/3 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan
3/4 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup cooked, squeezed dry, and chopped spinach
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces star-shape pasta (or any small pasta, such as orzo)
4 cups chicken stock or broth
print a shopping list for this recipe
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Set aside 4 tablespoons of the cheese.
3. Combine the ground meat, onion, bread crumbs, spinach, egg, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the remaining cheese in a medium bowl. Shape into 30 meatballs, each 1 inch in diameter.
4. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Reduce heat to medium-low; add the meatballs and cook, turning, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a large saucepan.
5. Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions; drain.
6. Add the chicken stock to the browned meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the meatballs are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pasta and salt to taste.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the reserved cheese.
I used about a pound and a quarter of meat. Good thing too, I don't know if the ingredients would have stuck together or not. I thought it looked like an awful lot of spinach... I used Bullion Cubes instead of Stock since its just cheaper and what I had. Along with standard Italian Breadcrumbs that you'll always find in my meager cooking arsenal.
I made too much pasta. But we ate it anyway.