Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Another?! Snowday....

Since Hubs was home I decided it would be the perfect time to make some Enchiladas to freeze for a later date & Banana Bread.  Great combo I know. For dinner we actually had sliced steak sandwiches with lots of butter and garlic. Mmmmm heaven.
I swear, sometime this week I will get to that 21 day challenge by BFOL.
I really enjoyed the Enchilada photos and recipe from Pioneer Woman but I did some tweaking.  Added shredded chicken and used colby jack cheese instead of cheddar and a bit more cayenne. We can handle it. Again I used Emeril's sauce recipe. Yum.
Enchiladas could probably be a much easier process in my house if I made sauce ahead of time or just purchased it.  But I seem to have most of the sauce ingredients on hand and a can of tomato paste is under a buck.  I can't believe of all the spices I've owned that chili powder has been the one I've actually had to replace due to becoming empty!  Hubs dislikes spice therefore this is a shocking discovery and a pleasant one, I'm wearing him down! Not just a meat & potato man anymore.  SOMETIMES he even puts lettuce on his tacos! HA

So I'll start with the coveted Banana Bread recipe.  Straight from Grandma's kitchen. Oh how delicious.  The only addition I make is adding chocolate chips.  It needs no alterations.  It's a double loaf recipe so we always have one plain and one for the choco-holic.
Wait till the bananas are nice and brown. The browner the better. I've tried to make it with bananas straight from the store without waiting and it just wasn't the same.

Grandma's Banana Bread
makes 2 loaves

4-5 Mashed bananas

2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt

1/2 Cup Crisco
1 1/2 Cups  White Sugar
2 Eggs

1/3 Cup Milk
1 Tbs White Vinegar

1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

You need separate bowls for each grouping of ingredients above.  Mash up the bananas.  Use frustration [about unnecessary snowday that keeps Hubs home and throws off Toddler and Baby schedules] for mashing bananas into oblivion.  When you feel adequately better after mashing, add to separate largest bowl Four, Baking Soda/Powder & Salt. Mix with fork.  In separate bowl add sugar to crisco and combine until crumbly. Stir in two eggs until creamy looking.  Measure milk and add vinegar directly to measuring cup, stir vigorously. Slowly combine sugar mixture with flour mixture then add banana and milk/ vinegar.  Once all ingredients have been combined add vanilla at last.
Spray loaf pans with cooking spray or grease with crisco, whichever floats your boat.  I find that glass pans cook the bread much nicer than tin. Perhaps that's my oven. Again, your choice.
Add half of the mixture to one pan.  Add about 1 Cup of chocolate chips to remaining mixture and mix.  Add to second loaf pan and put in oven at 350 for approximately 1 hour.  Check at the 40 minute mark, my oven is 'special' so cooking times may vary.  When checking loaf, knife should come out completely clean when done.
Frustration mash.



Sugary, Crisco goodness.

Milk & Vinegar mixture is supposed to look funky.

 White on white on white on white



I just really loved the texture in this shot.


Before and after!

Deeeee-licious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment