Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

I've been wanting to make these for a while.  I had several recipes for Chocolate Chip Scones book marked so that when the ingredients I had on hand matched one recipe I'd be all over that!  I made the recipe that I found on Evil Shenanigans.  Thanks for a great recipe! They only lasted two days because I told Hubs they were for company and he was only allowed the ones I burnt on the first batch! Wow I'm so mean but even the ones with the burnt bottoms were awesome!!



I planned on following the recipe for 8 scones but decided last minute to cut them in half before I baked them so they were smaller and more company friendly.  I'd rather enjoy 2 small snacks then get one huge one.  I suppose that's a mommy thing.  All portions have become toddler friendly. Sometimes it works in my favor sometimes not.  Not feeling guilty about having 3 scones that were mini is better than eating 2 huge ones and finding them on my thighs the next day... haha

Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones   Yield 8 scones [I made 16 bite sized ones!]

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and kept very cold
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, well beaten
Sugar for topping

Heat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the cold butter and rub it in with your fingers until the butter is in small pieces, no larger than peas.  Add the chocolate chips and mix well.

Pour in the cold buttermilk and vanilla and mix until the liquid is absorbed.  The dough will look very dry and shaggy.

Turn out onto a cutting board and knead the dough three times by pressing the dough into a fat disk, folding the dough in half , turning it 1/4 turn and repeating.  Do not over knead.

Once kneaded press into an 8″ circle and cut the disk into 8 wedges.  Places the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.  Top each scone with as much sugar as you like.


Bake the scones for 15 – 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.  Cool ten minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack.

I made these delicious treats while Hubs was home and the kids were awake. Not an Epic Fail but a minor recipe fail that ended up being really good anyway. After deciding they were too big and cutting them in half I also realized my oven needed to be at 350 to cook these without burning the bottoms. The second batch came out perfect!  Oh and because Hubs and the kids were home and AWAKE I also added the egg TO the BATTER. Because I was trying to follow directions and talk to Hubs and take pictures and manage the kids. Yeah I'll stick to my original theory on Naptime = Baking time ONLY.
I lucked out that I was also debating on making Pioneer Woman's Vanilla Bean Scones and had read that there is egg IN the batter.  So adding an egg to the recipe I was making wasn't utter disaster.

They ended up being on the cakey side, but they were DELICIOUS.  My company enjoyed them, Hubs enjoyed them and I will definitely make them again!!  Even the burned bottom ones were consumed.  I've since made them a second time this week ALREADY. Before I even posted. They were that good! [Ugh I'm so behind on Posting.] Since the Car Accident where Hubs says the VDub was tragically assaulted, life has just been completely off track.  If the Insurance Co. hadn't taken their SWEET FRIGGIN TIME, we wouldn't be scrambling to pay bills and buy a new car a few days before the rent is due again. Way to wait 3 weeks State Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment