Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cheddar & Crazy Salt Crackers

I was hankering for something to snack on. I already have lots of sweets on hand.  I just had PB MM Cookies, Butterscotch Banana Cupcakes and some Chocolate Chip Scones this past week.  Time for something savory. I'm not a chips person but I occasionally go on sweet overload and need to cleanse the palate. Haha.   I enjoy some wheat thins and cheese from time to time but Wheat Thins are on my expensive list of snacks for the house.  Hey with all this 'Betty Crocker-ness' maybe there's a cracker recipe out there.  The list of ingredients on the box isn't that terribly impossible looking.  Google me up something. How did I never think of this before?? There are TONS of cracker recipes. OMG. DUH. Oooh I'm excited now. NEW SNACKS! Both without chocolate AND Toddler friendly. BONUS.

Allrecipes.com was a pretty good base for my Cracker creation.  There were so many to choose from!  Here's what I came up with!  I think the recipe made about 60+ 1.5 inch round crackers.  I never counted but I know I had at least 3 full trays of 20 at a fairly consistent size.  Some were thin, some were thick and I had to try a star shaped and some other misc fun shapes.  I can't decide if I like the  thicker crackers or the thin ones. They are both good. The thicker ones came out like a Ritz texture but poofier.  I think next time I may even add more cheddar cheese or maybe a little less flour.  Can't go wrong with MORE cheese.

Cheddar & Crazy Salt Crackers

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon Crazy Salt **My favorite spice evvvah!!
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup butter, chilled
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
8 TBS cold water, or as needed

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, Crazy Salt and mustard. Crumble the butter in like you would for a struesel topping only smaller like half a pea size. Mixture will be crumbly. Stir in Cheddar cheese. Stir in water one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is able to hold together. Press the mixture into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.





*On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a rectangle that is 16x12 inches. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1x3 inch strips. Place the strips onto the prepared baking sheets spaced about 1 inch apart.*  These were the instructions I found. I rolled my dough out and used a cookie cutter. Do what makes ya happy.  I wanted something pretty to look at. My suggestion is to only roll out half the dough at at time though unless you have a ginormous counterspace. I however, do not.

I got 20 of these on one standard cookie sheet with my small circle cookie cutter. They shrink up a tiny bit so fill  the tray up!  Oh also poke them with a fork a few times so the don't end up like little domes. Plus they look all professional like real crackers! haha
I tested them a few ways. Next time I make them I'll be more consistent.  The thinner dough shrank to ovals.  Some of them I pinched some extra crazy salt on top before baking but they didn't really need it.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden and crispy. Cool completely before storing.




1 comment:

  1. Totally love these! I'm going to have to try them after I go on my mega cupcake baking binge tomorrow. I'll need something to balance out the sweet :)

    ReplyDelete