Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rosemary Focaccia

I found a hand full of recipes that I combined and can't quite credit anyone but at the same time I didn't create it from scratch in my head.  So thank you to the baking blogO'sphere for giving me a base to work from!

I've wanted to make this bread for quite a while.  I finally picked up some Rosemary.

I mean I had to buy 2/$3 on fresh spices and I needed the dill for the Tzatziki, naturally my second spice would be the Rosemary. The Parsley that was next to it just didn't call to me as something I required.  Usually Cilantro is the reason I hit up that section of the supermarket.  One day I would like to say that I've used all of the fresh ingredients in that section. One thing at a time.  Parsnips are still something that puzzle me and Radishes are still just Fraggle Food!  I almost bought a bundle of Radishes for the Toddler's halloween costume last year.  She was Red Fraggle. I was SO Suzy-home-maker and had a DIY costume for her. It was EPIC! This year I think Tinkerbell will be requested and I'm sure if she does not get the costume for her birthday then I'll find it on sale or with a coupon...
Anyhow, back to Rosemary.  I used to work at a coffee shop that made pannini sandwiches and we used Rosemary Focaccia on a regular basis.  At some point they switched from getting the fresh bread in to getting the dough and baking it in house.  I loved the way it looked all dimply on the tray sitting out to rise.  The hot sandwiches always smelled amazing.
I ended up making the most rockin chicken sandwich ever.

Granted the bread needs only some olive oil for dipping and immediate consumption. My girlfriend that I shared the bread with texted me after I pleaded with her to take it from me before I finished it myself she picked it up "I'm torn between cursing or blessing your baking skills omg!" and "My butt does not thank you."  That's when you KNOW you have a good recipe! HAHA!

Rosemary Focaccia
2 Tsp Dry Active Yeast (1 packet)
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Cup Warm Water
2 TBS Warm Whole Milk
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1/4-1/2 Tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Fresh Ground Sea Salt
1 Tbs Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Cups Bread Flour

Combine yeast, sugar, water, olive oil, S&P and rosemary.

Add half the flour.  Stir with Spoon.
Work in remaining flour while kneading dough ball for approximately 5 minutes.  Dough will no longer be very sticky.

Put a TBS of olive oil in clean bowl, put in kneaded dough and allow to rise for about one hour.

Preheat oven to 425.
Press dough with fingertips into either a free form 12 inch round or put into a foil lined jelly-roll pan.

 I found that a 13x9 pan spread the dough a bit too thin so next time I don't plan on stretching it all the way across.  Top with additional chopped Rosemary, a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.  Bake for 15- 20 minutes until the edges of the bread brown and look a little crispy.

Try not to eat too much of the fresh, hot, delicious, rosemary heaven with that bottle of olive oil still sitting on the counter. Ya' know, the one that's calling your name... Make a delicious cold chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato.  Try sauteing some boneless chicken with a little olive oil and the McCormick 'Beer Can Chicken' spice.

Oh the chicken is great for dinner, hot. But let. me. tell. you... Cold, sliced chicken covered in this stuff is AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment