Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lemon Pudding Pound Cake

Another Lemon Pound Cake!


Hubs said the first one was more Lemon-Iced pound cake than Lemon cake.  So I made a few alterations.
I think this one is WAY more lemony. But based on the ingredients, that was going to be a given.  I think this one is more crumbly. Drier like a regular cake. I need to make it a little more moist to suit my taste.  Not bad, but I need to try one more time.  What can I do to make it more moist?  Yogurt? My yogurt muffins are super moist.  Might have to look into that one. What defines a regular cake versus a pound cake?  Do I have it backwards, is a regular cake supposed to be more moist? Hrmmm...


Lemon Pudding Pound Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 Packet instant lemon pudding 3.4 oz pkg
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup whole milk


Mix together sugar and butter.
Separately mix flour, pudding mix, salt and baking powder.  To sugar mixture, add eggs, zest and lemon juice; mix well. Then add flour mixture, stir until combined.  Finally add milk and mix until fully combined.
Transfer to a greased loaf pan. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, or until golden brown.

This made a much more stiff cake.  It could be very thinly sliced. It did not need the icing at all.  It was plenty sweet as is.  Because of the pudding mix it gained a much more commercial taste to it. If that makes sense.  For a more home-made taste version I would stick with my original recipe but add zest and more lemon juice.  I could definitely make this again, however I don't always have lemon pudding on hand so again back to my original recipe.  Lemon juice is pretty much a staple in my kitchen arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment