Friday, April 22, 2011

Green Bean Pancakes

OK I know they sound gross, BUT they are Toddler Approved!!  I'm having a tough time with veggies and The Toddler.  I'll try anything. This actually worked!

I don't have any new photo's to share so I'll just mention that the photo is from my original pancake recipe.  I didn't expect the recipe to be worthy so I never bothered.  There isn't much to see anyhow. It's standard pancakes...  The only major addition was King Arthur's Whole Wheat Flour and of course a container of Gerber Pureed Green Beans. I'll get into the KA Flour in a minute.

Green Bean Breakfast Pancakes

3 Tbs Melted, Cooled, Salted Butter
1 1/2 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tsp  Baking Powder
1 Tbs Sugar
1 1/8 Whole Milk
1 Container of Pureed Green Beans (3.5 oz)
1 Egg

Melt butter, let cool to room temperature.  While the butter is cooling, in a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and sugar.  Next add milk, egg & green bean puree.  Whisk together until completely combined then add butter.  Stir all ingredients until batter is smooth. It will look slightly grainy but that is okay.   Use a 1/8 Cup measuring scoop to ensure the pancake size is consistent and toddler sized.  Heat griddle or non stick pan on medium and scoop batter on to pan.  Cook for approximately 1 minute per side.  Batter will not bubble up as much as your regular pancake so they need to be flipped sooner than you normally would. Trial and error as with most pancakes.  Recipe makes about 20.

I've gone through so many pounds of flour since December I can't even count. Wow, never in my life have I baked, cooked and used SO much flour.  I found a recipe for wheat thins one day and had heard about King Arthur's Flour on a few other cooking blogs.  I was in the store and saw it, so I grabbed a small bag to try.  I never got to making the wheat thins but I've been adding a dash here and there of the whole wheat flour since I bought it to other recipes, thinking I gotta get used to the taste and consistency.  Honestly I never noticed it.  We finally forgot to get a new bag of flour on our shopping trip and I needed to make some breakfast that wasn't a box of O shaped cereal.
So I went for it and used the whole wheat flour on the pancakes, if it tasted funny I can conceal it with syrup and berries.  While i'm at it, lets throw some veg in there!  Wha-la!  It worked. Sweet.  Even. Hubs. Ate. Them. Win. Win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment