Saturday, April 2, 2011

Crepes

Thanks to my best friend A.K.A. 'Betty Crocker'. Oh and Alton Brown for the recipe.


Betty Crocker had mentioned that Crepes would be a great thing to try with The Toddler.  Her little Monkey loves them! Along with a ton of other things The Toddler here, throws her nose up at.  They have been hugely different kids since birth, but we expected that.  Betty Crocker and I are like polar opposites but somehow have remained best friends for over a decade.  I stopped questioning it, it just works for us.  So this morning I was pondering what to make.  I looked at the clock. Ugh its like 5:30 am on the West Coast.  Too early to bug her for a recipe on a Saturday.  I'm not that cruel. Unlike my grandmother who called them at like 4 am about my baby shower a few years ago. A semi-comatose Mr. Crocker answered the phone thinking it was some work catastrophe. Oh NOoo. It was my grandmother telling him just to write down this message for Betty.  I can't tell you how many times we've laughed about that one. heeheehee!
So back to breakfast.  I'm currently allowing my batter to settle in the fridge.  I'm anxious to see how they come out.  I love recipes that require a minimum amount of dishes to wash.  This one totally fits that bill.  Except for the fact that I have to pull the blender out.  If they turn out well then it will have been worth it.

Crepe Recipe via Alton Brown

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.

Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can stack them and store in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months. When using frozen crepes, thaw on a rack before gently peeling apart.

*Savory Variation Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, spinach or sun-dried tomatoes to the egg mixture.
*Sweet Variation Add 21/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur to the egg mixture.



No comments:

Post a Comment